Follow me

journal spilling – the book

As mentioned in my first post, Diana Trout's "Journal Spilling" was what started me on the road to art journaling. I did not read, nor buy the book; it was the book title that had me googling on what art journaling is.

Journal Spilling 
Now finally, I've bought myself a copy and it arrived in the mail a week ago.

It is a very interesting book and offers some prompts and page ideas if you are stuck, however I am glad that I only bought the book now and not when I first started researching on art journaling.

This is because the book encourages messy pages, getting things down, and to hell with the critic. As I was more inspired by messy but pretty pages (eg. Samantha Kira), I don’t think I would have been in the mind frame to appreciate the message Journal Spilling was trying to get across.

One part of the book that I was very interested in were the instructions on making your own patterned paper. Scrapbooking is not a big thing here in Hong Kong – or at least I haven’t found it – so I don’t have the advantage of going to a stationery store and buying all those pretty pattered scrapbook paper. So I’d be interested in giving some of those paper dyeing techniques a go.

Comments

  1. I love that book as well.
    No scrapbook stores in Hong Kong??? OH NO!!!! I would love to send you some papers from my stash. :)
    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paula - Yep, no scrapbook store... but I was able to find plenty of origami paper, which works if I want really colourful pages... not much help if I wanted something a little bit more subdued...

    Do you want some origami paper, I found some really thick "washi" type origami paper (I've blogged about it: http://serendipity-art-journaling.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-art-supplies-dedicated-spot-to-use.html)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts