Follow me

let me explain…

It all started with a friend’s spur-of-the-moment comment, “Let’s start a band…”

I admit that we are an impulsive bunch, and we’ve made many similar plans in the past that never saw fruition (eg. “Let’s all get a tattoo..”) But I believe it was those failed past ideas that made us more enthusiastic this time; so that we each took our turn to egging the others on when enthusiasm flagged. We chose our individual roles in the band based on our previous experience with a particular musical instrument. Then we went to a music store…
IMG_1037_trimmed
That is a electric bass guitar (or a ESP LTD F-104, to be exact) and it is so gorgeous. I’ve never played a bass before (my previous experience with music was either the piano or classical singing) but I figured it was easier to learn than guitar.
IMG_1038

I did a lot of Googling and Wiki’ing prior to entering the music store, and did a lot more brand-specific research after that first visit (buying a bass advice #1: never buy on the first visit, no matter how much your impulse-buy-bug bites – trust me, it took a lot of will power not to take out my wallet that first visit).

It was a good thing I didn’t buy the first bass I saw (which was around $6,000 HKD/ $770 USD) because the one I ended up getting only cost $2,800 HKD/ $360 USD) and it was in the colour I wanted (buying a bass advice #2: appearance does matter; you’re less likely to practice if you cringe every time you look at the instrument).

So I’ve been busying practicing my bass, self-teaching from the myriads of Youtube videos and Google search results (I sometimes wonder what I did before Google/Yahoo! search engines were invented/programmed). Bass practice is not something that I could photograph and blog about unlike journal pages), so please excuse me if my blog entries become even more sporadic than before.

But that’s not all I’m busy with. I just received the following in the mail:

 

Sera Beak’s “The Red Book” and Julia Cameron’s “The Artist’s Way”, both spiritual books in their own ways. I ordered “The Red Book” after reading Samantha Kia’s review and I bought “The Artist’s Way” so I could actually do something with the morning pages I’ve done (and to hopefully inspire me to continue – I’ve kind of put that exercise down).
 
I haven’t started the two books yet – it’s kind of a torment to decide which one to start first and whether it’s possible to read both at the same time, and did I mention I’m currently reading Susan Pesznecker’s “Crafting Magick with Pen and Ink”?
 
I have a feeling that these books are going to inspire many journal pages to come – once I figure out how to juggle everything at once.

Comments

Popular Posts